Thursday, August 10, 2006

Its an anniversary

I have just realised that it is exactly one year since I stumbled upon blogger, opened an account and made my first post on this third rate blog. Why I chose Inzikuru as the subject of my first post and not some “hi I’m Jay and welcome to my new blog” kind of post, I can’t recall.

Blogging has since become a major part of my life and checking out my blogroll everyday has become a near addiction. It’s amazing how something that I knew nothing about before 10/8/2005 has quickly become a part of regular activities.

At first I thought I was a lone Ugandan sailing the vast sea that is the blogosphere until another sail picked up my message in a bottle and responded with urls of other blogs that had been around longer. Thanks Ivan.

Now I have a whole lot of blog friends and acquaintances, many of whom I probably pass on the streets many times without knowing (probably just as well for them). Some of the bloggers I have met have been philosophical, poetic, analytic, lyrical, angry, soulful, scandalous, odd, clinically insane etc.

I now have my on nook of the net to put down whatever is on my mind and it is great. I get to write stuff in a way a like at my leisure while enjoying the experience before I sit back and wait to see how people respond.

Heck, this blogging business has even got me on the BBC site (looking around smugly).

Next stop: My Own Website. Though I don’t think my lazy ass can keep one going.

9 comments:

Jane said...

I was introduced to the blogsphere by my better half Hopes. I am certain that the enthusiasm he commenced with has wore thin.

Its rather confusing to start from nowhere and discouraging when it occurs to u no one is really reading your rants, pat your back 4 hanging in there Jay.

Baz said...

Has it been that long? This thing has become a habit, though, you're right. A bunch of us barely do anything else on the net these days. Just trawl through blogs and whine about why Jay takes long to update.

Kenyanchick said...

One whole year? Congrats, dude. And I'm glad I found you. (I'm having one of those rare 'warm and fuzzy' days. It'll pass.)

Uganda Tourism Press Journalists said...

gwe, i have seen you in town. not the cartoon figure up there. the real you. you cannot say, like Paul McCartney that people wont recognise you when yu are out on the street. i'm just waiting for you to post something very scandalous then i'll pounce.

thanx for keeping us busy while we wait for the taxi fares to go down in the evening. a great year of laughs and insight.

Jadekitten said...

Hey, congratulations. I wonder if my fickle self will last long enough to do any anniversaries....

On a different note, I stumbled on a post mentioning that you're a Rotarian. So am I (Kenyan), so kindred souls, ey :-)

I digress....I was wishing you well...yeah...done.

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

I would want my anniversary to come if i was sure i'd have a nice post to go with it..like yours.
myblog replaced my journal on one of those online buddy thingies and so it doesn't qualify as literary material...only things one says to one self to keep from saying them outloud on the train to no one in particular. but! i look around and see some folk with bigger messes upstairs than me. Blogville forever!

Iwaya said...

Bloody hell! we are getting old even in the blogsphere. still it's a lovely kind of age. i cringe whenever i go back and read my first entry. God, how gauch I was! Congrats on making it! you have been one of my top 5 favorite bloggers and i mean that in the entire blogsphere.

Cheri said...

Must be an achievement of some sort. Cant wait for mine next July- believe me, time flies! Congs. This blog thing is like a drug.

The 0ne said...

I realise this is a tad late,but here goes...CONGS mat...I can't even come up with some silly comment...this.is.awesome!